Friday, September 4, 2009

Banjo versus TV week 77: Plucky Rosenthal

A check-in on the Banjo versus TV project — J.R.'s ongoing plan to spend more time on his banjo than on TV. This post covers 8/16/2009 through 8/22/2009.
Banjo 489 hrs, TV 431 hours

My find of the week is Plucky Rosenthal. She was on the stage at the Red Line Tap (prior to a performance of The Mudflapps) and she was wonderful.

Picture Fanny Brice, as portrayed by Barbra Streisand in Funny Girl, playing the banjo...

2009-08-22 Plucky Rosenthal with banjo

... and ("Costume change!") the ukulele...

2009-08-22 Plucky Rosenthal with ukulele

...and you get the idea.

She played some of her own songs (My Headless Man, My Heart Belongs to Harry [Truman]) and some standards (Surfer Girl, Lydia the Tattooed Lady, Yes Sir, That's My Baby and a version of Sitting on Top of the World that morphed strangely and beautifully into The Cranberries' Linger).

Her version of Ukulele Lady is the only one I've ever heard that sounds flirtacious instead of imperial/colonial.

You should see if you can make one of her appearances. She's also available for parties.


Also in the last week:

  • My other find of the week – also at that Mudflapps performance – is the SwirlyGig. It's the drink holder that fits on your microphone stand.

    SwirlyGig
  • Didn't make it to Costello's Jam again due to travel. Will I ever get my free sandwich?
  • The upcoming movie Zombieland has:
    • Zombies
    • Banjos
    • Woody Harrelson
    What's not to love?

    Don't believe me? See the trailer.



  • -->

No comments: