Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Banjo versus TV: Week 6

Banjo 48 hrs, TV 36 hours
A weekly check-in on the Banjo versus TV project -- J.R.'s resolution to spend more time in 2008 on his banjo than on TV.

Another good lesson this week. Mike brought his fiddle and I used my newfound (and still unsteady) forward-roll-playin' skills to accompany him. He complimented me because I kept the accompaniment rolling even when he took off on a riff.

I used the appropriate terms there -- "accompany" and "accompaniment" -- but I was so pleased with myself that, to my mind, it was a duet.

Also in the last week:

  • It was too darned cold on Wednesday to go to the free Folk Fest Kick-Off at University of Chicago, so my banjo and I stayed in our warm apartment.
  • I Googled across the Jenks Banjo Band. As far as I can tell, the band's only available recording is a track on the 2002 "Forever Everton" CD, a tribute to the Everton Football Club in Liverpool, Merseyside, England. I listened to the preview and heard a little banjo, but mostly tambourine. Perhaps the lead singer has a Banjo-Tam?
  • Shopped at my Banjo Hangout friend Joanchek's new banjo-themed online store: http://www.cafepress.com/eggheadtrivia.
  • Studied up on my music theory. Found a handy PDF of the circle of fifths. For a wearable version, see Joanchek's "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" design:

    Cute, eh? I ordered one.
  • Netflix promised me some recommendations if I rated Best of the Flatt & Scruggs TV Show: Vol. 2, and I did. But instead of a recommendation I got:

    Flatt And Scruggs Show Stumps Netflix

    Guess I stumped 'em.

No comments: