Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lent and the banjo

Hey, you got your banjo-playing bunny in my chocolate!Here's an email about my Banjo versus TV project that I received recently, and which has relevance on this first day of Lent.

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:31 AM
To: J.R. Jenks
Subject: Resolution Question

J.R.,

Enjoyed the post on your last Toastmaster’s presentation.

In the will J.R. actually do this category, I am wondering about an additional data point.

What has J.R.’s track record been in keeping New Year’s resolutions?

Just curious

To which I replied:

From: J.R. Jenks
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:23 AM
To: "Just Curious"
Subject: RE: Resolution Question

I’m afraid my previous resolutions failed to follow the FranklinCovey 8-point recommendations, so it’s hard for me to say.

I can’t remember any resolutions -- if I even made them -- for 2006 and prior (“3. Write Down Your Goals”).

Last year’s resolution, “Be a better servant,” was vague (“1. Think of Your Resolutions as Goals”) so I don’t think I can claim credit for it, but I *think* I did an okay job at keeping it. At any rate, I was better off for having made that resolution.

Perhaps I can extrapolate from my Lenten habits. For the last 20 years I’ve managed to give up something for Lent and to stick with it for the full 46 days. Usually I give up junk food. 20 years ago, I gave up meat for Lent and never started back up again.

So if I total up the last 20 Lenten seasons I’ve kept a resolution for 20 * 46 = 920 days = 2.5 years. Does that count?

J.R. Jenks

Since that time, I've come to wonder whether "Just Curious" had my best interests at heart when he asked that question. I've heard that he's talking about starting a when-will-J.R.-break-his-resolution betting pool. Hmph.

No comments: