Saturday, February 27, 2010

Banjo versus TV week 101: Shorty's Strickly Bluegrass Festival on the radio

A check-in on the Banjo versus TV project — J.R.'s ongoing plan to spend more time on his banjo than on TV. This post covers 1/31/2010 through 2/6/2010.
Banjo 604 hrs, TV 592 hours

The banjo highlight of my week was WLUW's Live 'n' Kickin' Bluegrass show. Why?

Reason #1: David Bragman hosting. Of course, David (my banjo instructor) hosts the show every first Saturday so that's not really why this show was so good. This show was good because of...

Reason #2: Shorty. I had introduced David and Shorty so I took pride in hearing David interview her about Shorty's Strickly Bluegrass Festival, which is coming up in Peoria on March 4-7, 2010. Shorty made a good case for why you should swing over to Peoria that weekend to enjoy the bands and the jamming that she's arranged. (Discounted rooms are still available at the Stoney Creek Inn.)

Reason #3: Playing along. I decided to do a little playing along with the songs and I did pretty well. Yay me!


Things I learned at this week's banjo lesson:


Also in the last week:

  • On the TV front, I watched Meet Dave and really enjoyed it. Shut up.

Cross-posted at J.R.'s Banjo Hangout blog

No comments: