Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Banjo versus TV week 114: Commitment

A check-in on the Banjo versus TV project — J.R.'s ongoing plan to spend more time on his banjo than on TV. This post covers 5/2/2010 through 5/8/2010.
Banjo 668 hrs, TV 660 hours

That horrible viral sickness continued this week so I didn't do much, banjo-wise.

The only thing I've got to talk about this week from a comic book podcast I listened to. It's related to the banjo only because it reinforces a theme I've previously discussed from a banjo lesson. (Which means it doesn't tie together my banjo and comic interests as neatly as my superhero hoedown did, but I digress.)

The theme is one of commitment and repetition, which you remember, of course, from this snippet of an August 2008 banjo lesson.

We talked a lot about wrong notes. (Go figure!)
  • A music prof of Dave's (from his Washington College days) told his singers, "If you hit something wrong, never let your face show it."
  • Joe Pass wrote (possibly in a book called The Zen of Guitar) that if you hit a wrong note, hit it again. Hit it again. Hit it again! Make something out of it.

I recalled that advice when listening to War Rocket Ajax podcast, Episode 21 – Megashark & Octopus w/ Greg Pak & Fred Van Lente. In this episode hosts Chris and Euge are interviewing Fred Van Lente and Greg Pak, the authors of Incredible Hercules.

The segment from 1:07:15 to 1:11:58 makes a point (using examples from Margaret Cho and Will Ferrel) about how, when performing, you need to commit to something, don't be afraid to repeat it and never let the audience see your doubt. Go ahead and listen to it, but I should warn you that the segment will make a lot more sense if you've read the "Thorcules" arc of the Incredible Hercules run.

NURP

That's all I've got. 'Cause, like I said: sickness.

Cross-posted at J.R.'s Banjo Hangout blog

No comments: