Friday, November 20, 2009

Banjo versus TV week 89: Chicago's Second Annual Battle of the Jug Bands

A check-in on the Banjo versus TV project — J.R.'s ongoing plan to spend more time on his banjo than on TV. This post covers 11/08/2009 through 11/14/2009.
Banjo 567 hrs, TV 498 hours

The big event of this last week was, of course, Chicago's Second Annual Battle of the Jug Bands at Morseland, organized by Arlo Leach and featuring...

  • The Brass Note Jug Band, whom I played with, playing...
    • I Can't Dance
    • Sun Brimmer's Blues
    • Bay Rum Blues
    • Feelin' Good
  • The Barehand Jug Band, Chicago's busiest jug band, playing...
    • What's That Tastes Like Gravy
    • T'aint Nobody's Business What I Do
    • Cocaine Blues
    • Tear It Down
  • Strictly Jug Nuts, this year's winners of the coveted sausage grinder trophy, playing...
    • Yum Yum Blues
    • What's the Matter with the Well?
    • One Meatball
    • Keep It Clean
  • Deep Fried Pickle Project, whom I voted for (Sorry, Brass Notes, but they were great!), playing...
    • Tear It Down
    • Rubber-Legged Jim
    • I Saw Your Picture on the Internet
    • Fat Bottomed Girls / I Like Big Butts / Baby Got Back
  • The Hump Night Thumpers, my former band that I'm going to go back to some day, playing...
    • Walk Right In
    • Mobile Line
    • KC Moan
    • Cocaine Habit Blues
  • The Schticklers, Chicago's one-and-only Jewish jug band, playing...
    • Coney Island Washboard Roundelay
    • Cakewalk Into Town
    • Arkansas Traveller
    • Gimme Back My Wig

Additional entertainment was provided by our opening act, The Northside Southpaws, who played...

  • Kohala March
  • Vicksburg Stomp
  • Carolina Glide
  • Wobble March (medley of Stone Mountain Wobble / Sea March)
  • Morning Glory Waltz
  • Carbolic Rag
  • Old Folks Better Go To Bed
  • You're Gonna Quit Me Baby
  • Toots
  • Havana River Glide
  • Jackson Stomp
...and by Hotfoot Annie, who tapped her way through...
  • Nagasaki (accompanied by The Vaudeville Tramp)
  • I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy
  • Mister Bojangles
  • Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag
  • Side By Side
...as the votes were counted.

I was pleased with my performance. I held my own in Bay Rum Blues (my first VI-II-V-I song) and I bluesed it through both chords of Feelin' Good (the stage debut of my recently-developed string bending talents).

I also kazooed up a solo for Sun Brimmer's Blues and gutbucketed along with I Can't Dance.

There are gobs of photos at my Flickr set.


Also in the last week:

  • Purchased The Grascal's self-titled debut CD...



    ...because it's got Dolly Parton joining in on Viva Las Vegas.
  • Added two songs to my Learning Songs list because I learned 'em for the battle: Bay Rum Blues and Feelin' Good.

Cross-posted at J.R.'s Banjo Hangout blog

No comments: