Monday, January 14, 2008

Banjo versus TV: Week 2

Banjo 15 hrs, TV 13 hoursA weekly check-in on the Banjo versus TV project -- J.R.'s resolution to spend more time in 2008 on his banjo than on TV.

I started the week with a banjo lesson in which Mike gave it to me straight: I've been biting off more than I can chew.
Me: Plink. (pause) Plink. (pause) (scramble to change keys) Plink.

Mike: Stop. Stopstopstopstop!
Because of our vacation schedule it's been a month since our last lesson and, apparently, I've been running amok. (And by "running" I mean "going very, very slowly".) I was trying to teach myself Foggy Mountain Breakdown when I hadn't accomplished the basics of bluegrass rolls.

So my emphasis this last week has been on the basics. I've practiced 7 hours, mostly in repetitions of rolls. The redhead thinks I've been improving.

Also in the last week:

No comments: