I put a blank, formatted SD card in my brand-new Memorex MMP3642A MP3 player and I got the message "Error! Reformat Internal media with SigmaTel formatter". Like many others, I tried a bunch of things (formatting with a PC, for example) and I Googled for help, but nothing seemed to work.
Here's how I fixed the problem. Hope this helps someone.
- Install the "Memorex Solid State Digital Audio Player" software.
- (Note that the manual says you don't have to do this if you're running Windows XP Pro [which I am] but that you should do it anyway to solve this problem.)
- Put the product CD into your CD-ROM drive.
D:\MMP3642\Setup.exeand use the default install options. (
D:is my CD-ROM drive; yours may have a different letter.)
- Put the SD card into your MP3 player. Leave the MP3 player off for now.
- Connect the player to your computer with the USB cable.
- Push the power button on the MP3 player. Your MP3 player should show a screen that says "MASS STORAGE".
- Start | Programs | Memorex Solid State Digital Audio Player | Format
- You should see something like this:
- Select the second of the two drives. The first drive is the internal memory; you don't want that. For me, I selected F: (the SD card) and not E: (internal memory).
- Type the volume label of your choice.
- Hit "Start".
- When you're done:
- Hit "Close".
- Eject the device nicely, using the Safely Remove Hardware tool in your notification area.
- Unplug the MP3 player's USB cable.