Friday, January 25, 2008

How I fixed "Error! Reformat Internal media with SigmaTel formatter"

Note to Memorex Products, Inc.: You're welcome for the technical assistance. Feel free to visit my wish list and get me something nice.

I put a blank, formatted SD card in my brand-new Memorex MMP3642A MP3 player and I got the message "Error! Reformat Internal media with SigmaTel formatter". Like many others, I tried a bunch of things (formatting with a PC, for example) and I Googled for help, but nothing seemed to work.

Here's how I fixed the problem. Hope this helps someone.
  1. Install the "Memorex Solid State Digital Audio Player" software.
    • (Note that the manual says you don't have to do this if you're running Windows XP Pro [which I am] but that you should do it anyway to solve this problem.)
    • Put the product CD into your CD-ROM drive.
    • Run D:\MMP3642\Setup.exe and use the default install options. (D: is my CD-ROM drive; yours may have a different letter.)
  2. Put the SD card into your MP3 player. Leave the MP3 player off for now.
  3. Connect the player to your computer with the USB cable.
  4. Push the power button on the MP3 player. Your MP3 player should show a screen that says "MASS STORAGE".
  5. Start | Programs | Memorex Solid State Digital Audio Player | Format
  6. You should see something like this:
  7. Select the second of the two drives. The first drive is the internal memory; you don't want that. For me, I selected F: (the SD card) and not E: (internal memory).
  8. Type the volume label of your choice.
  9. Hit "Start".
  10. When you're done:
    • Hit "Close".
    • Eject the device nicely, using the Safely Remove Hardware tool in your notification area.
    • Unplug the MP3 player's USB cable.
You should now be able to turn on your MP3 player and not see that error message.

No comments: