Thursday, December 31, 2009

Ending endings month

Endings Month

I've gotten a lot of understanding out of endings month. I haven't had time to blog about everything I've learned as I dedicated this month to a study of endings on the 5-string banjo. Among the things I've learned about but haven't blogged about:

  • Shave-and-a-haircut ending. Now, don't tell me that you don't already know exactly what I'm talking about. All right, if you must have an example, here's Jackie Phelps on the banjo as one of Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys, showing us (at about 2:25 on) what I'm talking about with Roanoke:

  • Amen ending. That's ending with a plagal cadence, which is a IV-to-I cadence. For an example go to church.
  • Ending after ending after ending. You'll find no better example than Roy Clark wrapping up the Pickin' and a Grinnin' segment each week on Hee Haw. Roy layered on one ending after another. Start at 1:38.

But even endings month must come to an end. Thanks for joining me. See you in January for beginnings month.

Cross-posted at J.R.'s Banjo Hangout blog

No comments: